Thursday, October 05, 2006

#15...

I really enjoyed reading the "Iceberg" article by Rick Anderson. As a librarian who joined the profession right on the cusp of the emerging technology trends, I sometimes feel like I'm way ahead of some people, and way behind others. It is a struggle to keep up sometimes.

I tend to lean towards the 'old school' way of thinking that Anderson mentions in the "just in case" collection. I recall that one of my first tasks as a librarian was to weed the paperback collection and I just could not get rid of anything. I couldn't wrap my head around the idea that some things must be tossed. I kept reasoning that somewhere out there was someone who would want to read each book. Needless to say, I have come to terms with weeding things from the collection and now am an avid paperback weeder! YAY!

I do think that we, as a system at PLCMC are very good at the last point Anderson made. I think we are very effective when it comes to getting services out to our patrons- (at least I hope so!) and that we do offer quite a few services people want through online and technology based environments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home